6 ETFs to go short. June 14, 2007Posted by deminvest in etf, investment strategies, short, stocks.
I am not planing to invest on those ETFs. : it is already very frustrating to lose money when stock markets go down. I don’t want to lose money also when they point up!
I only list them for future reference:
- UltraShort Russell1000 Value (ticker: Sjf)
- UltraShort Russell1000 Growth (ticker: Sfk)
- UltraShort Russell MidCap Value (ticker: Sjl)
- UltraShort Russell MidCap Growth (ticker: Sdk)
- UltraShort Russell2000 Value (ticker: Sjh)
- UltraShort Russell2000 Growth (ticker: Skk)
On this page: http://www.proshares.com/funds/sjf/5814906.html I can find some details about those shorting ETFs and a menu with even more shorters.
I don’t really understand how a short ETF may work. A “normal” ETF owns stocks. What does a short ETF own? Anti-stocks?
It probably owns options, but those options can go to zero value if related stock prices go up. I wonder if those ETFs also go to zero.
I better keep my simpleton’s nose away from thorns of this risky complex stuff!